This diet plan is designed to assist diabetics in selecting the foods that they eat, so that they can maintain regular blood sugar levels while also getting the required nutrition to maintain a healthy body.
Major Food Groups According to American Diabetes Association Diet Plan
- Cereal, whole grains and green breads.
- Protein based food such as poultry, egg, fish, meat, dried beans and nuts.
- Dairy products like cheese, yogurt, skim milk and low fat milk.
- Fruits and vegetables which are a good source of minerals and vitamins.
American Diabetes Association Diet Plan Guideline
One of the keys to eating for diabetics is to try and eat foods that are high in fiber. This is important because the fiber will help cleanse your body and dispose cholesterol and excessive blood sugar. When you are cooking use flax seed oil or olive oil.
Avoid foods that are high in fat and refrain from consuming alcohol, because alcohol stays in the bloodstream and its action mimics that of blood sugar. You’re going to need to cut down on the salt intake as well.
American Diabetes Association Diet Plan Food Recommendation
The following foods are considered to be most helpful for diabetics:
- All kinds of beans – green and black beans, pinto beans and navy beans. Beans are full of protein and energy. One half cup of beans contains equal protein to that in an ounce of meat.
- Berries – raspberries, blueberries and strawberries are full of antioxidants, vitamins and fibers.
- Whole grains – avoid flours that are processed too much (pretty much all white flour falls into this overly-processed category) and instead go for the less processed forms like whole wheat and whole grain options.
- Tomatoes are good antioxidants and are very versatile since you can simply eat them as they are, peel or slice them, and even add them as toppings in your food. These are rich in iron, Vitamin C and E, and are good for your heart as well.
When choosing food to consume, this diet plan gives you a solid guideline that you can incorporate quite easily into your lifestyle.